What Do You Want to Study in Canada?

Imagine studying marine biology on Canada’s West Coast, learning French-Canadian history in Quebec, or attending culinary school in Halifax! Match your interests with schools and programs in Canada that deliver exciting multicultural experiences taught by some of the world’s leading instructors.

Get a Study Permit

To study in Canada, you may need a study permit and/or a visitor visa.

Prepare to study.

Find out what you need before you apply for a study permit in Canada.

Determine your eligibility.

Apply for a study permit.

Extend your Study Permit

You should apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before your current permit expires.

Work While You Study

It is possible to work in Canada, while you are here as a student, under any Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC’s) work programs for students. In most cases, you will need to apply for a student work permit.

You may work on campus at the institution where you study without a work permit if you are a full-time student at a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, or a collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees and you have a valid study permit.

Stay in Canada after Graduation

You can stay in Canada as a permanent resident or find work after you graduate from school. To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). If you want to stay in Canada as a permanent resident after you graduate, there are a number of programs available, each with its own requirements.